Free – Winter Checks
What your free winter health check covers:
– Wiper blades.
– Anti-freeze strength.
– Windscreen washer fluid.
Check your car
- Antifreeze – check coolant level regularly and, if required, top-up with a mixture of the correct type of antifreeze.
- Battery – the most common cause of winter breakdowns. A battery more than five years old may struggle in the cold – get it checked and replaced if necessary to avoid the inconvenience of an unplanned failure.
- Fuel – keep at least a quarter of a tank in case of unexpected delay.
- Lights – check and clean all lights regularly to make sure you can see and be seen clearly. Carry spare bulbs.
- Tyres – should have at least 3mm of tread for winter motoring. Consider winter tyres for improved safety. Check pressures at least every fortnight.
- Windscreen – reduce dazzle from the low sun by keeping the screen clean inside and out. Now is a good time to renew worn wiper blades.
- Screen wash – use a 50% mix of a good quality screen wash to reduce the chance of freezing in frosty weather.
Whatever the weather, there is never a bad time to book your car in for a free seasonal safety check. This six-point check is designed to help you avoid some of the most common car problems and drive on the road with confidence.
Why is a health check important?
A regular health check is a great way of giving you the peace of mind that your car is roadworthy. It also allows us to flag up any issues, whether they are urgent or will need attention in the future – perhaps at your next full service.
We use a traffic light system to let you know the result of our inspection:
– Green means your car is good to go.
– Amber flags up issues that need attention but are not urgent.
– Red means a component needs urgent attention.
Making sure you are legal:
Your free health check also ensures that your vehicle is legally compliant, which is why we check lights, visibility and tyres – three of the biggest fails in your MOT.
We will check for faulty or burned out bulbs so that they can be replaced. We will look at your wiper blades to make sure they properly clear your windscreen and don’t leave it smeared and messy; if necessary, we will even top up your windscreen washer fluid. We will give your battery a full health check to see whether it needs replacing so you don’t get stuck, and we will check your oil level to make sure everything is functioning just as it should be. Finally, we will check the tread of your tyres to make sure they are legally compliant and inflated to the correct pressure.
When does my car need a health check?
You can book in for your free winter health check at any time, but it is a useful tool especially when your car is due its MOT or between services. It can help you to identify any potential fails, put them right, and prepare you for issues that may come up in your annual service so that you don’t get any nasty surprises.
You can book a free health check – or service or MOT – online at any time or by calling us today.
How long will my vehicle health check take?
A typical winter check takes around 15-20 minutes.
What if the health check shows my car needs work?
Unless you have given us your authorisation to undertake any necessary remedial work, we will not carry out any work on your car.
Can you carry out the work if necessary ?
As the local garage you can trust, we pride ourselves on being able to carry out any repairs – from minor to major – as quickly as possible. We usually have parts such as wiper blades and bulbs in stock, so we can have your car legally compliant and back on the road in no time.